We Do School Differently
Today’s students, both gifted and “at-risk”, are technologically advanced. They seek educational opportunities that allow them to collaborate via social media such as blogging, Twitter (tweeting), YouTube and instant messaging. The Internet is a tool of learning for this population who seek a new approach. This paradigm shift has occurred so rapidly that charter schools have stepped in to fill this niche, one that incorporates the best of what traditional and Independent Study schools has to offer, with the flexibility of time and power of the Internet.
IvyTech Charter School is modifying and advancing the educational paradigm for the 21st century learner. IvyTech has taken the best aspects of the virtual classroom and a brick-and-mortar school to create what is commonly known as a “Blended Learning or Hybrid Model”. The “Blended Learning Model” provides students with the opportunity to participate in a traditional classroom setting, a virtual classroom with online instruction, and receive assistance through social media. Our teachers are equipped with the technological tools, curricula and pedagogy to educate today’s students using 21st century tools.
The most common questions asked by families first learning about IvyTech is: who can attend and how much will it cost? As a public charter school IvyTech is free to all families of students grades 7 – 12 that reside in Ventura County and the adjacent counties of Los Angeles, Kern and Santa Barbara. If you want to learn more about IvyTech Charter School and what it has to offer, please visit us at our campus or schedule a tour.
IvyTech is proud and excited about its relationship with the community of Moorpark. “Learning Today to Lead Tomorrow” is a vision that IvyTech embraces.
What is a Public Charter School?
Public charter schools are one of the FREE alternatives to traditional public schools. Charters can be established by teachers, parents, or community groups under the terms of a charter (contract) with a local educational district. The autonomy granted under the charter agreement allows the school considerable decision-making authority over key matters of curriculum, personnel, and budget.
Our charter allows us to be more flexible than traditional schools in helping learners meet both Common Core Standards and achieve personal goals. Like any other organization that must prove itself to keep customers, we are accountable to our stakeholders: students, parents, teachers, and the community!
A recent report by the National Charter School Resource Center (NCSRC), Student Achievement in Charter Schools, presents the findings from a randomized study of charter schools:
- Charter students overall perform better in math and reading (4 of 5 studies)
- Low-income charter students perform better in math (all 5 studies) and reading (4 of 5 studies)
- Urban charter students perform better (5 of 5 studies) whereas non-urban charter students perform worse (2 of 2 studies)
- Charter students with low prior achievement perform better (2 of 3 studies)
- Minority charter students perform better (3 of 3 studies)
- Limited evidence that ELs and students with disabilities in charter schools perform better (only 1 study)
- No impact on student behavior (2 of 2 studies)
Why We are Different
What makes us different is our flexibility to offer a program more in touch with the students of today. Our public charter gives us the flexibility to spend our money on things that matter most: a strong curriculum with the technology to back it up.
We invested in the following things:
- 21st century Educational Tools
- 24/7 access to current and relevant curriculum
- One-on-One teacher/student interaction or small group
- Highly Qualified Teachers
- Curriculum supported with on-site Tutorials and classes
- 3D Printing and 3D Design
- Audio Engineering and Recording Studio Practices
- Digital Audio Production
- Sign Language
- Work Experience
Ivy Tech Charter School will educate its students to have the knowledge, character, and critical skills necessary to explore and contribute to the world in positive ways.
Through effective communication and inspired collaboration, IvyTech students will graduate with purpose.
They will go on to cultivate action in the world that sparks both creative investigation and innovation, thereby becoming both global learners and leaders of the 21st century.
21st Century School Experience
IvyTech Charter School is for students grades 7 through 12 who are seeking a non-classroom and more flexible alternative to traditional public school?
IvyTech’s Hybrid Middle and High School Programs provides:
- All of the individualized attention provided in the Independent Study Program (see below)
- On-site core subject and elective classes with credentialed teachers
- Small class sizes
- One-to-One device assignment so each student has their own Chromebook for class participation and school work completion
IvyTech’s Independent Study High School Program provides:
- Student flexibility with their schedules to allow time for work, attend to family matters, or take part in community activities
- Personal attention of an Academic Advisor who is available to provide one-on-one counseling and act as a liaison between independent students and academic instructors
- Teachers and counselors help students create a personalized education plan to achieve their goals
- All instructional materials online and accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Technology – Students can access all IvyTech online curriculum and services from their home computers, laptops or Kindles
Ivy Tech Promotes
Innovative learners who are inspired, self-directed and resilient, who are able to read critically, write clearly, and engage creatively.
Twenty-first century leaders who can effectively navigate cutting edge information systems to investigate a variety of issues, who can communicate & collaborate with others both locally and globally to solve meaningful, relevant problems.